Hand Washing

Asking Providers to Wash

Hygiene hand shake

We all know how busy healthcare providers are and that they are only human. The CDC reports that healthcare providers on average clean their hands less than 50% of the times that they should.

If you notice someone who forgets to wash their hands, you should say something!

It’s okay to ask healthcare providers, family, and guests in your home or hospital room to wash their hands.

By reminding others to practice good hand hygiene, you can help protect your child’s health and prevent the spread of infection.

How Do I Ask?

Asking someone to wash their hands can be uncomfortable. Here are a few examples of what you can say in this difficult situation.

• “I didn’t see you clean your hands when you came in. Would you mind cleaning them again before you examine my child please?”
  • “I’m worried about germs spreading in the hospital. Will you please clean your hands once more before you start my treatment?”
  • “I saw you clean your hands when you arrived some time ago but would you mind cleaning them again please?”
  • “I’m sorry I didn’t see you wash your hands. Can you please do it in the room?”
  • “Would you mind washing your hands again please?”
  • “I am trying to teach my daughter to wash her hands. Could you do it in front of her?”
  • “Do you mind gelling in so we can see?”

Other Tips

At the Hospital

• “I posted the 7-steps sign on the hospital door, so everyone walking in is reminded to wash their hands.”
  • Involve your child! Your child can also ask providers and visitors to perform hand hygiene.

At Home

Welcome visitors and ask them to wash their hands immediately.

Remembering to Clean Devices

Cell phones and mobile devices can carry a lot of germs, especially since we touch them multiple times a day. Here are some tips about cleaning mobile devices:

• “Every day I get home, I wipe my phone down.”
  • “I use an antibacterial wipe and tissue to clean my phone.”
  • “I have to set a reminder so that I remember to clean my phone.”
  • UV cell phone sanitizers are available and are pretty cheap.

Caring for Dry Hands

If you’re washing or sanitizing your hands multiple times a day, your hands might become dry. Here are some tips from parents to parents:

• “I moisturize my hands morning and night.”
  • “I carry lotion in my purse and car.”
  • “I put thick lotion on with gloves at night. That really helps!”